Thursday, June 7, 2007

Apple Sucks At Windows

There’s no shortage of praise for anything Apple, but how come no one ever talks about their Window’s Software short comings? If Microsoft suffered any of these deficiencies , the media would have crucified them, but somehow if you make shiny white things you are golden.

ITunes installation requires QuickTime which is the most insidious application – only second to RealPlayer in obnoxious behavior (thankfully which I don’t use anymore). I don’t need it on my computer but I can’t use iTunes without it. I run a lot of programs and they all want to load system programs which I don’t need. I run a modified startup using Microsoft’s System Configuration utility msconfig.exe to cut down on crap loading on my system. No matter how many times I uncheck qttask it reloads the next time I reboot. After some searching without using Google, I was able to find out that you have to uncheck “check for updates [checked by default].”

Every time Apple release a new version of iTunes, I have to perform a complete reinstall of 2 entire applications. Hey Steve, the rest of software community has this closely guarded secret called “software updates,” in which only small, affected portions of the program are changed. These changes are then sent to the customer and the program is updated - simple and elegant, like Apple's hardware.

No comments: